Tuesday, January 3, 2012

ACL SURGERY - YES OR NO?

I was listening to this podcast today - 
Return to exercise after ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) injury, with Dr Richard Frobell 

- and I was blown away by this question and answer exchange:


Interviewer to Dr. Frobell: "You are now not so young anymore. So if you had your ACL torn in Alpine Skiing in Sweden, what would you do with it?"

Dr. Frobell: "I would most definitely wait with an ACL reconstruction. I would try rehabilitation at first [my emphasis]. If I still would experience instability because I am an active guy, I like to do sports, and if that would decrease my ability to do sports I would seriously consider a reconstruction. But I would never perform that at first. [my emphasis]"

WOW! What a change in thought. And what a concept.....rehab first! 

Injury care = rehab = sports performance. I have been saying this for decades! Surgery is always an option.... but as a last resort if all else fails.

1 comment: