Here are my safety tips:
- Don't shovel if you have had serious spinal, lung, or cardiovascular problems, or are out of shape.
- Drink 8 oz of water or Gatorade type drink before you shovel. It may be cold, but you will get dehydrated after shoveling if you are not careful.
- Warm up first! Do this warm-up before you shovel - it is all of 6 minutes!
- Dress warmly in layers, and wear an extra-long sweater to protect the lower back.
- You may want to wear a support or weight belt.
- Always stand erect and bend from the hips and knees, not the waist (mini squat). Handle small to moderate loads of snow. You may want to try one of the bent handle shovels like the one below.